உலகம் தட்டை முஸ்லீம் கும்பல் இந்த வாரம் 8 பேரை இன்ஷா அல்லா பண்ணியிருக்கிறது.
8 Killed in Nigeria's Weekend Blast
2011-07-26 01:29:07 Xinhua Web Editor: Zheng
Eight persons died, 50 shops and 28 vehicles were destroyed while many wounded in Saturday's bomb explosion in a northeastern city of Maiduguri in Nigeria when the Boko Haram Islamic sect threw an explosive at a military patrol vehicle.
Though the Joint Task Force troops deployed by the Nigerian government to the north eastern state of Borno had claimed only three of its soldiers sustained injuries, residents maintained eight people actually died in the explosion and the ensuing gun battle between the Boko Haram men and the military troops.
Sources told Xinhua said some members of the Islamic sect had thrown an explosive at a patrol vehicle of the troops in Budum, a settlement located behind the Shehu of Borno Palace.
The Shehu, a popular Nigerian king, is the vice chairman of the Islamic Council in Nigeria, next to the Sultan of Sokoto.
Batima Bukar, a 45-year-old victim of the incident told Xinhua that his hand was broken when he attempted to save an old woman who was almost trapped in the area during the shoot out with the sect.
He disclosed that two corpses were found at the Budum Market roundabout on Sunday morning while another two were discovered at about 6 a.m. local time same day adjacent the area.
Another resident who craved anonymity told Xinhua that she lost her husband and a neighbor, adding that while her husband was hit by stray bullet, their neighbor was a victim of the blast.
The Saturday incident has compelled many of the residents of the area to flee their homes.But the Joint Task Force (JTF) through its spokesperson Col Hassan Mohammed insisted nobody died in the incident.
Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said the worsening security situation in north of Nigeria was disturbing.
The agency the standard of living of the people was daily deteriorating due to the inability of the residents to engage in their economic activities since the Boko Haram uprising heightened in the state.
Northeast zonal information officer for the agency Ibrahim Farinloye said the Boko Haram crisis and face off with the security agencies has brought untold hardship on the people.
He said the federal government through NEMA and other humanitarian actors was reaching out to all the distressed people in the communities in order to cushion the adverse effects of the crisis on the people while equally ease the financial constraint of distressed Muslims for the month of Ramadan.
He disclosed that the agency had been directed by the Federal Government to commence comprehensive relief package to reach out to the distressed people irrespective of religious, ethnic or political affiliation in their present places of residence.
The exercise which was expected to commence on Monday would focus on residents at Abbaganaram, Kaleri, Simari, Dala, Budum, London chiki as well as various villages in and around Maiduguri.