|Muslim scholar in boy-sex scandal re-arrested after more victims come forward||| Print ||
|Written by Denis Scott Chabrol|
|Tuesday, 24 January 2012 22:46|
The Muslim scholar was Tuesday re-arrested after five more boys alleged that he sexually assaulted them, police said.
East Coast Demerara Divisional Commander, Assistant Commissioner David Ramnarine confirmed that a total of nine boys including four brothers have leveled the accusations against the Mufti.
“The eminent scholar has been arrested after five more boys came forward and made allegations against him,” he told Demerara Waves Online News (www.demwaves.com).
Earlier Tuesday, Police Chief of Criminal Investigations, Assistant Commissioner, Seelall Persaud had confirmed that medical examinations conducted on one of two boys at that time had confirmed that he was anally sexed.
Up to late Tuesday, police did not divulge details about whether the three others were similarly sexually assaulted.
The scandal broke last week when the mother of four sons was approached by an official of the Child Care and Protection Agency (CPA) and told of the allegations against the Mufti.
The alleged instances of sexual assault took place at a Mosque based in Section D, Turkeyen between December 2011 and January 2012.
Prior to the Mufti’s arrest, he had been placed on GUY$150,000 station bail and asked to report periodically.
He has been sent on leave pending the outcome of the investigation and prosecution.
Police are yet to dispatch a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for advice. Authorities have 45 days within which to compile evidence before seeking a committal before a magistrate.
Earlier Tuesday, the rights organisation- Red Thread- picketed the Ministry of Human Services, urging that swift action be taken against the accused. The organisation is worried that the man could tamper with the victims, their parents or other associates.